Possession of firearms, ammunition, or dangerous weapons is prohibited while on University-owned or -controlled property at all times. This includes all parking lots, grounds, and facilities of the University of North Alabama. This prohibition applies to all members of the University community, visitors, and guests regardless of whether such person has a permit to carry or possess the weapon. These prohibited weapons include, but are not limited to:
• Fixed blade knives on the person or in a vehicle or any folding knife with an overall length greater than eleven (11) inches
• Shotgun, rifle, or other shoulder gun
• Pistol or revolver
• Air gun or spring compression gun
• Bow and arrow
• Slingshots or other throwing weapons
• Brass knuckles
• Fireworks or explosive devices
• Tasers or stun guns
This policy does not apply to:
• Law Enforcement Officers of the Federal Government, State, or of any county, city, or town when in the discharge of their official duties.
• Civil officers of the United States in the discharge of their official duties.
• Private police or security personnel when hired by, or under contract with, the University.
• Law Enforcement Officers attending school as students. Their weapons must be concealed unless wearing a uniform.
• Campus food service knives.
• The President’s residence.
Visitors and guests may temporarily store weapons at the University Police Department for no more than 48 hours. UPD and the University are not responsible for lost or damaged items.
Exceptions to this policy may be granted for certain instructional purposes, displays, ceremonies, drills, reenactments, and performances and must be authorized by the Chief of University Police or their designee.
No weapons will be allowed at any University athletic event or building. The same procedure of warning and trespass for carrying/possession on campus will apply to athletic events.
The University complies with, and shall enforce, all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations relative to this policy and necessary for its enforcement.
Please refer to the complete Weapons Statement and protocols at www.una.edu/police.