Master of Arts in Education Degree
The Master of Arts in Education degree is awarded in the following major fields: school counseling, instructional leadership, early childhood education PK-3, elementary education K-6, P-12 education, secondary education, and special education: collaborative teacher K-6 and/or 6-12. Programs range from 33-51 semester hours. See program requirements below.
Additional Admission Requirements
- Preparation: hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution.
- Prerequisite: hold valid Class B professional educator certificate in any teaching field and two full years of full-time satisfactory educational experience at the P-12 level or qualify for the Track 2 CACREP Approach.
- Recommended for admission by the Counselor Education faculty based upon GPA; MAT, GRE, or Praxis II subject area scores; recommendations; resume; and interview.
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A passing score on the PRAXIS II Professional School Counselor Examination (0421) and a minimum grade point average of 3.25 on all courses in the Alabama State Board of Education approved School Counseling program.
- The Master of Arts in Education in School Counseling follows the University Graduate Grading Policy in regard to satisfactory academic progress as a graduate student except for the overall grade point average requirement of 3.00. As stated above, a minimum grade point average of 3.25 on all courses in the Alabama State Board of Education approved School Counseling program is required for program graduation.
Required courses for Instructional Support Programs (P-12) School Counseling (P-12) (SBE Approved)
|CHD 000||Counselor Education Orientation||0|
|CHD 001||Counseling Comprehensive Examination||0|
|EEX 605||Survey of Students with Disabilities||0-3|
|CHD 601||Research Methods & Program Evaluation in Counseling||3|
|CHD 602||Fundamentals of Counseling||3|
|CHD 604||Human Growth and Development||3|
|CHD 606||Theories and Techniques of Counseling||3|
|CHD 608||Group Counseling||3|
|CHD 615||Social and Cultural Diversity in Counseling||3|
|CHD 621||Assessment in Counseling||3|
|CHD 631||Counseling for Career Development||3|
|CHD 641||Development and Management of School Counseling Programs||3|
|CHD 642||Professional Identity and Ethics for School Counselors||3|
|CHD 645||Child and Adolescent Counseling||3|
|CHD 678||Practicum in Counseling||3|
|CHD 688||Internship in Counseling||3|
|CHD 689||Internship in Counseling||3|
|Select six credits Counseling (CHD) electives||6|