Department of Music

music 23-24

The University of North Alabama is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music.

The Department of Music offers two liberal arts degree programs leading to the Bachelor of Arts in Music or the Bachelor of Science in Music degrees--Option 1: Vocal/Choral Music, and Option II: Instrumental Music.  Students may prepare for careers in the field of music education by pursuing either the BAM/BSM Option 1: Vocal/Choral Music, or the BAM/BSM Option II: Instrumental Music and also enrolling in educator preparation with a major in Secondary Education (Choral Music P-12, or Instrumental Music P-12). The department also offers the Bachelor of Music in Performance, a professional degree program with emphases in Instrumental, Piano and Vocal music. In addition, the department offers a minor in music degree program, as well as coursework that is applicable to the general education component.

All students majoring or minoring in music must take a live performance audition and a theory and aural skills placement examination prior to their acceptance into the music program1.

All applied music courses are numbered from the 100 to the 400 level with each successive level representing a higher level of competency. Syllabi are on file for each level of competency. Each applied level is a prerequisite for the next level.

Students pursuing a minor in music may only take a one-credit-hour lesson each semester unless they have obtained prior approval from their applied instructors to take additional hours. Music majors are expected to take a two-credit- hour lesson each semester until they have completed the requirements for Senior Recital (MU 419).

All music majors must meet ensemble requirements by registering for and participating in University Bands, Collegiate Singers, or Shoals Symphony at UNA for large ensemble requirements; and Chamber Choir, Opera/Musical Theatre, jazz ensembles, studio ensembles, and other small/mid-sized ensembles that may be organized on a permanent or ad hoc basis for small ensemble requirements.

All music majors are required to take a Sophomore Barrier examination which includes performance proficiency in the student's major applied area. To satisfy this requirement, students must:

  1. have completed or be currently enrolled in their seventh or greater credit hour of applied music; or
  2. be currently enrolled in the 200-level applied music course and, with the approval of their instructors, perform in their major applied music areas before the appropriate designated panel of music faculty.

The faculty will advise each student following the Sophomore Barrier examination concerning his/her continuation in the music program.

All music majors are required to demonstrate piano proficiency to music faculty. Piano proficiency may be demonstrated by earning a grade of "C" or higher in Class Piano I (MU 131)Class Piano II (MU 132)Class Piano III (MU 231)Class Piano IV (MU 232) or by successfully performing before a panel of designated music faculty all components of the Piano Proficiency Exam as listed in the Music Student Handbook.

All music majors are required to give a senior recital as a demonstration of proficiency in the student's chosen area or areas of music performance by one of the following means: an individual public recital or a joint public recital with another student. Students must be enrolled in applied music during the semester of their senior recitals. Students seeking teacher certification in music must complete their senior recital and piano proficiency requirements prior to their educator preparation Internship.

All music majors are required to take the MFT in music to fulfill university requirements for their exit examination.

Special fees are charged for work in applied music (individual instruction). For organ, piano, voice, and orchestral or band instruments, the fee is $75.00 per credit hour which provides for one half-hour lesson per week in a semester and one one-hour lesson per week in a summer term. Where such instruction may be approved for groups of four the fee is $30.00 per credit hour. Some special forms of financial aid are available for eligible students who perform in university ensembles or serve as accompanists (see "Expenses" and "Student Financial Services"). Special fees are charged for work in class instruction for piano, brass, strings, guitar, accompanying, and woodwinds.  The fee is $15 per credit hour.


This includes transfer students.